turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don’t see the deduction for claiming my mom as a dependent reflected in my refund. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I don’t see the deduction for claiming my mom as a dependent reflected in my refund. Why?

Deductions are used to lower the income on which you are taxed, and you benefit by owing less tax, and that is reflected in your refund.  You do not, however, receive the amount of a deduction reflected dollar for dollar in your refund.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

My bet is you're expecting to get $4,050 back for that. It doesn't work that way. For each qualified dependent you claim you get to deduct $4,050 of your taxable income from taxation. You do not get refunded that amount for each dependent you claim.

Thank you

Thank you
Anita01

Deductions are used to lower the income on which you are taxed, and you benefit by owing less tax, and that is reflected in your refund.  You do not, however, receive the amount of a deduction reflected dollar for dollar in your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies