I'm filing for my son who passed away in 9/2016. I know there's a form I must fill out on the MA return.If he doesn't owe do I still need to file?

Condolences on your loss.

It depends on the total income. I assume he was a MA resident, so you only need to file if he had MA gross income in excess of $8,000.

There is an additional complication, in that any income received after the date of death (for example, bank interest) is income to his estate, and would not be included on the MA resident tax return (Form 1). Estate income is reported on a fiduciary return (Form 2).

Condolences on your loss.