Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtwbl17f

My husband & I filed "Married Filing Sep." since 2013. He owes taxes for 2015/16. If we file jointly in 2018 do I become responsible for these past taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My husband & I filed "Married Filing Sep." since 2013. He owes taxes for 2015/16. If we file jointly in 2018 do I become responsible for these past taxes?

Are you in a Community Property State?

Colorado
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Not a community property state
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AlanT
Expert Alumni

No, you do not become responsible for his past tax obligations.  You are only responsible for tax obligations for tax years in which you filed Married filing jointly.  

However, if you are due a refund in 2018, the refund will be seized to pay his past tax obligations unless you file for injured spouse relief.

The rules are different in the nine community property states. These jurisdictions view all marital property as owned equally by both spouses, including wages and earnings.
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Colorado, not a community property state.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies