turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cobhc_log

I worked in Japan for 2 months in 2016. I am a US citizen, work for a US company, and got paid in USD. Do I need to report these wages elsewhere? If not, read further!

Hello,

I went on 2 business trips to Japan last year for a total of 2 months.  I was still paid in USD and did not pay Japan taxes or anything like that.  Do I need to report the wages I earned while in Japan in another section?

If not, how do I change my answer from "yes" to "no" for the question "Did you work outside of the US in 2016?"  I cannot complete filing my taxes because TurboTax is catching a "problem" I need to update before filing.  Since I did not earn foreign income, I am assuming I do not need to fill out the Forrm 2555-T as it is requesting.  How do I change my answer since I previously misunderstood the question?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I worked in Japan for 2 months in 2016. I am a US citizen, work for a US company, and got paid in USD. Do I need to report these wages elsewhere? If not, read further!

Click on Federal Taxes, Wages & Income
You should see Foreign Earned Income on the List, Click Edit
And you should see the Did you earn any income outside the US?
IF YOU DO NOT SEE THIS, POST BELOW
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

If you worked for the same entity -- that is your normal employer -- while on a business trip, lasting  2 months, your income is still US sourced, just temporarily  working at a field office. Japan also considered it as an extension of your US job and therefore did not consider it local earnings and hence not taxed by Japan.  You prepare your return  just as normal -- not foreign earned income.

If on the other hand you were actually transferred  to a foreign entity ( whether associated or wholely owned  by your US employer ) then the situation and the answer may be different. So tell us a little more about who were working for in Japan ( just entity type information , not actual name )

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies