turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did my return show no money back when I claimed a child?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

Claiming a child as a dependent does not give you "money" back.  When you claim a child as a dependent, it reduces the amount of your taxable income by $4,050 for each dependent you claim in 2016.  For example, say you have $40,000 in taxable income, if you claim your child as a dependent, your taxable income is reduced to $35,950.  So instead of paying taxes on $40,000 in income you are now paying taxes on only $3,950 of income.  If you have two dependents or exemptions, your taxable income would be reduced to $31,900, ($40,000-$4050-$4,050).  That is how dependencies or exemptions work.  They reduce the taxable income you pay taxes on which in turn results in a lower tax bill or possible refund.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SeanE1

Claiming a child as a dependent does not give you "money" back.  When you claim a child as a dependent, it reduces the amount of your taxable income by $4,050 for each dependent you claim in 2016.  For example, say you have $40,000 in taxable income, if you claim your child as a dependent, your taxable income is reduced to $35,950.  So instead of paying taxes on $40,000 in income you are now paying taxes on only $3,950 of income.  If you have two dependents or exemptions, your taxable income would be reduced to $31,900, ($40,000-$4050-$4,050).  That is how dependencies or exemptions work.  They reduce the taxable income you pay taxes on which in turn results in a lower tax bill or possible refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies