turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johndoe

My return was rejected because my ex erroneously claimed one of my children. I have not gotten any response from the ex about fixing the situation. What do I do?

I know I can send a letter explaining the situation to the IRS.  Will this increase my chances of an audit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My return was rejected because my ex erroneously claimed one of my children. I have not gotten any response from the ex about fixing the situation. What do I do?

Claim the child as normal; and print, sign and file by mail. The IRS will investigate. Do not send the IRS any documentation unless/until they request it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

eventually both you and your ex will get a notice from the IRS asking to amend return.   if neither party does, then the IRS sends out a second notice which requests proof that you are entitled to exemption.  the IRS then investigates the proof sent and makes a judgement based on the tax laws as to who should get it.  the one who shouldn't gets a bill.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies