turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jawz
Level 1

Childcare. I entered $3455 for daughter and $4713 for son. But 'Total' page only gives me $1425 and $1943 respectively, totaling $3368 for my return. Why?

I do have a flex benefit of $4800 through the employer deduction, not sure if that makes a difference here. I would think that I would have a total childcare that would be exactly what I paid?  $3455 + $4713.  Why not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Childcare. I entered $3455 for daughter and $4713 for son. But 'Total' page only gives me $1425 and $1943 respectively, totaling $3368 for my return. Why?

When claiming the Child and Dependent Care Credit, you must reduce your childcare expenses by the amount of dependent care benefits provided by your employer that you deduct or exclude from your income. Since you had a flex benefit of $4,800, your qualifying childcare expenses were reduced by this amount.

For more information, see page 10, Dependent Care Benefits, in IRS Pub 503: Child and Dependent Care Expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

When claiming the Child and Dependent Care Credit, you must reduce your childcare expenses by the amount of dependent care benefits provided by your employer that you deduct or exclude from your income. Since you had a flex benefit of $4,800, your qualifying childcare expenses were reduced by this amount.

For more information, see page 10, Dependent Care Benefits, in IRS Pub 503: Child and Dependent Care Expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies