turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changing my deduction? I don't understand what this is asking me to do or why, please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristieB

Changing my deduction? I don't understand what this is asking me to do or why, please help

Once you enter all of your deductions, TurboTax will automatically compare the Standard Deduction, which is a fixed dollar amount based off your filing status, to the sum of your Itemized Deductions, which appear on Schedule A. 

The one that will give you the most benefit on your tax return, usually the higher dollar amount, will be automatically applied for you. TurboTax will let you know which one it has selected for you, and give you the option to change it if you would like to do so. This is most likely the screen you are seeing. 

There is a more detailed explanation of the deductions below: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302313

If your question has not been fully resolved, kindly comment below with additional details. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChristieB

Is it asking you about the Standard Deduction vs. Itemized?

Yes?
ChristieB

Once you enter all of your deductions, TurboTax will automatically compare the Standard Deduction, which is a fixed dollar amount based off your filing status, to the sum of your Itemized Deductions, which appear on Schedule A. 

The one that will give you the most benefit on your tax return, usually the higher dollar amount, will be automatically applied for you. TurboTax will let you know which one it has selected for you, and give you the option to change it if you would like to do so. This is most likely the screen you are seeing. 

There is a more detailed explanation of the deductions below: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302313

If your question has not been fully resolved, kindly comment below with additional details. 

Did you enter all your deductions?  Do you think you will have enough to itemize this year?  This year the Standard Deduction will be doubling so many people will be switching to the Standard Deduction.  And there is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".

FAQ on 2018 changes https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return

For 2018 the standard deduction amounts are:
Single 12,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over or blind
HOH 18,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over or blind
Joint 24,000+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind
Married filing Separate 12,000 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies