Change SSN

605nick

Change SSN

How do I change a SSN before I efile my tax return?

bluedeb

Change SSN

You need to go to the Personal Info section.  Click Edit by your name.  It is too late to e-file a new return, it had to be e-filed by October 15th.  You need to mail in your return with all the forms & schedules needed for your return.  Make sure you sign your return.

605nick

Change SSN

Thanks for the quick response.  Do you mean the personal info section in the software or download, print and hand-write the correct SSN?  

bluedeb

Change SSN

You can change your SSN on your return in the software, under Personal Info section. If you already printed out your return you can also change your SSN by hand.

605nick

Change SSN

I'll just do it by hand (it is my daughter's SSN).  When I click on Personal Info in the software tab it only gives me the option to go through the original filing process - no updates.  But thanks for your help anyway.

Change SSN

@605nick If you are not changing your child's SSN in the software you had better write a note to yourself for next year's tax time---if you transfer your 2019 tax return in to your 2020 return and you only changed your child's SSN by hand when you  mailed it, your 2020 is going to have the wrong SSN for her too.

bluedeb

Change SSN

@605nick  Did you first click on the Personal tab?  It is showing that you are in the Home & Biz software.  You first need to click on the Personal tab, then click on Personal Info to change her SSN (click Edit by her name).