Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hansdonkersloot
Returning Member

Capital expenditure not put into use

Hello-

I needed to purchase an above-ground replacement pool for my rental property-  However, the contractor disappeared and the pool has not been put into use- I am afraid it may end up being unused and I will need to purchase another pool through a local pool installation service.  is the cost of the pool which was not put into service deductible as an expense since it is not being depreciated anymore?

thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

The swimming pool would not qualify as an expense write-off.  You still would depreciate this as a capital improvement in the year paid , although it is not yet complete.  In any following year, additional expenditures are added to the pool cost and also depreciated. 

The cost of maintaining and repairing your rental property are fully deductible. However, don't confuse repairs with improvements. Repairs include fixing leaks, repairing a broken window or repainting a room. Improvements increase the value of the property and cannot be deducted the year you pay for them. Examples of improvements are a new air-conditioning unit, insulation projects or a swimming pool. What you can do is deduct the cost of improvements by depreciating their value over the rental property's life expectancy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a little confused.  if the original replacement pool was never installed it was never placed into service and should not have been depreciated.    you'll have to explain why you can't get a contractor to install it.  if you're implying that it was never delivered  and you have been unable to get a refund for amounts paid. In such a situation, you would have a write off.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies