edz

Cannot file due to being claimed as a dependent even though I am a single 20 old adult not in college

I'm trying to e file a simple tax return in order to receive the stimulus benefits but I have been claimed as a dependent. Both of my parents say they have not claimed me as a dependent and I am 20 years old and not in college. Can this issue be resolved on the phone with the irs or will further action have to be taken? 

Stinkerbellkity

Since the IRS is no longer taking calls due to personnel shortages, nothing can be resolved with them over the phone. It wouldn't help you anyway since they cannot reveal who might have claimed you.  Since an accepted return shows you as a dependent, you are not eligible for the stimulus payment this year. 

You can, however, go ahead and file a return claiming yourself, by paper and through the mail.  The IRS takes a long time to process paper returns but eventually you will receive a letter from them asking for more information.

If this is straightened out by next year, you could receive the stimulus when you file your 2010 tax return next year.

Stinkerbellkity

KarenM90

Yes, the information from Stinkerbellkity is correct. 

You will need to print and mail your tax return and be prepared to provide any information that supports your claim that you provide your own financial support, when contacted by IRS.

The individual(s) that claimed you will likely have to provide information proving that they provided support and that you qualify as their dependent.

Here is information on Printing and Mailing your return:  Printing and Mailing my Return