Can ypu help me my taxs were rejected due to someone else filing my son?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Did your parents already file their return and list you on their return?  

If they did, they will have to prepare an amended return to remove you from their return (amended return MUST be PRINTED and MAILED and can take 2-4 months to be processed..

They need to WAIT until they find out if their return has be REJECTED or ACCEPTED.
Then, it is BEST if they wait until they actually receive the refund (or payment due is taken from their account) based on their already filed return;  then they can start the amendment process

Above all  DO NOT DO ANYTHING until they find out if their return is rejected or accepted

For you, there is virtually no chance that the amended return will get processed in time for you to e-file your return.

At this time you should simply PRINT and MAIL your return and not waste time this year to try to e-file

When mailing your return it is best to go to the Post Office and send it Certified with Return Receipt.

If someone else (incorrectly) used the SSN’s you cannot e-file.  Your only option is to PRINT and MAIL your return, and let the IRS sort out the issued.  They will contact you and the other party and determine who is entitled to file

Rachel_W

Unfortunately, if the IRS has in their system that someone has already claimed your children as Dependents, you will not be able to E-File your return.  Instead, you will need to paper file your return.  

Once the IRS receives your return, they will send out paperwork to you and to the other person they are showing claimed your children in order to determine who should be claiming them.  Once you prove you are the rightful claimer, they will issue the refund to you and rescind it from the other person.  

You will need to send in the documentation specifically requested by the IRS in the letter they sent you.  

Basically, you will need documentation to:

• prove that your child lived with you in the US for more than half the year (School records, Daycare records)
  • prove how you are related to the child (Birth Certificate, court records, adoption records)
  • If your child is over age 19: Prove they were a full-time student or totally and permanently disabled

Check out IRS Tax Topic 654 for details on what can be used to prove the above: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc654.