You can include in medical expenses the costs of buying, training, and maintaining a guide dog or other service animal to assist a visually impaired or hearing disabled person, or a person with other physical disabilities. In general, this includes any costs, such as food, grooming, and veterinary care, incurred in maintaining the health and vitality of the service animal so that it may perform its duties.
In order to enter your service dog as a deductible you will need to:
- Click 'Federal Taxes'.
- Click on 'Credits & Deductions'.
- Click 'I'll work on my on my own'.
- Scroll down to 'Medical'.
- Click 'Start' next to 'Medical Expenses'.
- Follow the prompts and on the 9th screen, enter your service dog and the amount.