Solved: Can we claim my 19 yo step-daughter as a dependent? She was 19 at the end of 2017, NOT a full-time student, only made $1,500, and we pay all of her living expenses.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we claim my 19 yo step-daughter as a dependent? She was 19 at the end of 2017, NOT a full-time student, only made $1,500, and we pay all of her living expenses.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 1

Can we claim my 19 yo step-daughter as a dependent? She was 19 at the end of 2017, NOT a full-time student, only made $1,500, and we pay all of her living expenses.

Yes, but she is a qualifying relative, not a child, so you will not be eligible for tax credits associated with that status.

Here is the test:

·       You provided more than half of her support.

·       She made less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. 

·       She lived with you for the entire year.

·       She isn't a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

·       She isn't filing a joint return with someone else.

·       She is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 1

Yes, but she is a qualifying relative, not a child, so you will not be eligible for tax credits associated with that status.

Here is the test:

·       You provided more than half of her support.

·       She made less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. 

·       She lived with you for the entire year.

·       She isn't a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

·       She isn't filing a joint return with someone else.

·       She is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings