megansambec

Can the IRS take my husbands refund if we file married filing separate and I owe money?

If we file joint, we owe around $5,000.  If  we file separate my husband would get back around $3,000 and I owe around 5,000.  Would the IRS take his refund to put to what I owe?

SherekaB

No. Choosing the married-filing-separately status offers financial protection: the IRS won't apply his refund to your balance due.

SherekaB

macuser_22

Unless you live in a community property state.   Then that part of the refund that is community property can be taken.  (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin )