Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can't find where to input estimated Federal and state taxes paid for 2016

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Can't find where to input estimated Federal and state taxes paid for 2016

If you have NOT e-filed, to enter estimated tax payments paid in 2016 in TurboTax online program, go to:

1. Sign back into the program and Take me to my return 

2. At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in estimated tax payments and Enter

3.  Select Jump to estimated tax payments 

4. Next screen, Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid, make your selection and follow the prompts.

If you have e-filed, wait until your return is accepted or rejected by IRS / the state.

                -If your return is rejected, correct your information (along with anything else that needs to be corrected)                                and then re-submit your return.  See  Fix a reject    Under the Personal Info tab,  make sure to check                                          Yes to Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return.  

               -If your return has been accepted- you cannot change the information. Instead, you have to amend a                                     return.  See instructions below.

IRS does not allow e-file for amendment,  you will need to submit the amendment forms with related supporting documents by mail. (Follow instructions through the step-by-step interview questions in the program)

If your original return generates a refund, you should wait until your original refund arrives before you file your amendment. You can cash your check, but you still should wait until your current tax return is resolved.  Note that if you see " Do Not File" watermark on your Form 1040-X, this means your original return is either still pending or forms are not finalized yet.

As you are going through the amendment process,

1.  On screen, Do you need to change anything else?

2.  Scroll down to Deductions and Credits, select Edit

3.  Next screen, scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid / Estimates

[Edited 3/11/2017]

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies