turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aburban35

Can people over 80 years of age list dependents, ages 4 and 5 as dependents and get deductions for them?

We have full guardianship and and care for 2 children full time. We used TurboTax Deluxe, listed them as dependents. They were listed but no deductions. What is the problem?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can people over 80 years of age list dependents, ages 4 and 5 as dependents and get deductions for them?

What source (s)  of income did you enter?  Did you enter any income that came from working?  The child-related credits are based on having income from working.   If your income is coming from retirement income like Social Security or pension, IRA's etc. you will not get certain child-related credits.   Did you get the stimulus money for them?   Make sure you go to the recovery rebate credit section in Federal Review.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st ad 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
aburban35

I found the answer. I am taking care of 2 great grand children, I should have checked grandchild, not other.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies