• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
713cwg

Can my parent claim me as a dependent if I'm under 24 and on their health insurance, even if they don't support me financially and I live on my own?

I work full time and pay all my own bills aside from health insurance, but one of my parents insists I still count as a dependent for him since I'm on his insurance. I'm not so sure about that.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Critter
Level 15

Can my parent claim me as a dependent if I'm under 24 and on their health insurance, even if they don't support me financially and I live on my own?

Unless you are a full time student  they cannot claim you  if you make more than $4050 per year.  Just being on the insurance is not a qualifier for being a dependent for taxes per the IRS regs in Publication 501. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Critter
Level 15

Unless you are a full time student  they cannot claim you  if you make more than $4050 per year.  Just being on the insurance is not a qualifier for being a dependent for taxes per the IRS regs in Publication 501. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v