blake64rg

Can I still claim my 17 year old daughter on my taxes if she files her own

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.

My 17 year old son made well over $400.00 last year and social security and Medicare was withheld. So why can't he claim it on his refund?  I'm confused. Please email me. [removed]

You misunderstood the answer.  If your son got a W-2 he can file a return in hopes of a refund.  If his earnings were reported on a 1099 he would owe for SS and Medicare.  Which did he get--a W-2 or a 1099Misc?  (I removed your email address--it is unsafe and unwise to post personal information on this site)

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing