Ask the Experts about Life Changes in 2021 >> Event happening TODAY!
sandy4042

Can I rename a squiggle (~ Turbotax data recovery file) and have it be found by next year's version?

After many difficulties with desktop Turbo tax not being able to resume my 2019 return (couldn't find data, then needed reentry of activation code), I was able to restart by clicking on "File" and my folder which only showed a couple files with ~ in front of the name.  I selected the one with the latest modification date and was able to complete my return and e-file.  When exiting Turbo tax, I saved without indicating the destination, and so it saved to the same ~ file.

My first question, can I rename this file, removing the ~ and still have my 2020 Turbo Tax able to transfer the data, or is there something special internally in the file that would prevent that?  Second question, I noticed now that I have a ~~ (double squiggle) name file in my folder....is that a backup file to the ~ file?  Are both the ~ file and ~~ file identical?

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes you can and you can name the file whatever you want but .tax2019 must be at the end.

and as you know you can't have 2 files with the same name in the same folder. there should be a file in the same folder with the same name without the ~ 

Anonymous
Not applicable

sandy4042

Thanks for your answer.  I'll make sure I don't inadvertently change the file type appendage.  I think the ~~ file is a recovery file for the ~ file, though they are slightly different in size.