turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lazie

Can I mail in 1040X, given that I did not technically do the returns (they were rejected). If not, is there an archive of my rejected returns that I can print?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I mail in 1040X, given that I did not technically do the returns (they were rejected). If not, is there an archive of my rejected returns that I can print?

NO--you do not prepare or mail in a Form 1040X for a rejected return.  If your return was rejected it has never been filed in the first place.   You only amend a return that has been fully processed by the IRS in order to correct a mistake or add missing information.  So if you clicked on "amend" you have to get out of that.

I clicked on “amend” by mistake

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552802-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbotax-onli...

If you tell us what the rejection code or rejection message was we can probably help you fix your return so that you can e-file it.  Or you might have to print it and mail it.  But you do not amend.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

NO--you do not prepare or mail in a Form 1040X for a rejected return.  If your return was rejected it has never been filed in the first place.   You only amend a return that has been fully processed by the IRS in order to correct a mistake or add missing information.  So if you clicked on "amend" you have to get out of that.

I clicked on “amend” by mistake

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552802-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbotax-onli...

If you tell us what the rejection code or rejection message was we can probably help you fix your return so that you can e-file it.  Or you might have to print it and mail it.  But you do not amend.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Lazie

That is my issue with the 2017 return.  I did amend it, but did not mail it in.  It was rejected because of wrong previous year AGI - had I known that I only need to print and mail! Now I can only see the 1040X.  Is there any way to get access to the original that was rejected?

Unless you saved the original as a pdf, it went away when you amended.  You will have to re-create it in order to file a correct 2017 return.
 If you need to prepare a return for 2015, 2016, or 2017 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/persona...>
If you were getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late.
Lazie

I am not required to file the Federal because my gross income was too low - below the threshold mandatory to file.  I did pay the correct State liability, but did not technically file.  Do I still have to file?
Lazie

File State that is...

You say you paid the state--but if you have a filing requirement for your state you should still print out the return and mail it in.  Whether you choose to seek your federal refund (if you were getting one) is up to you, if you did not have enough income to be required to file the federal.
Lazie

That would mean I would have to buy the 2017 software and basically redo both returns to generate the documents. I know that there is a penalty if I owe, but I do not.  It is funny.  An entitled refund is forfeited after 3 years if not filed...

"Now I can only see the 1040X." that makes no sense. the revised return must be there. if you made no changes the revised return is still the original return. Print "tax return for filing"; discard 1040x
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies