angevoelk4

Can I fix my rejected returns without buying the desktop software this site is trying to get me to purchase?

Why did it reject?  If it was for the AGI that is not needed now.  AGI is only to efile.  Efiling is closed so you have to print and mail it now.  But if you need to fix something, yes you have to use the Desktop program.

How to finish a prior year online return   https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

mcginga

This is quite ridiculous. My returns were rejected and the only way I can amend is to pay for the Turbotax again? I thought I paid for turbotax to ensure my returns aren't rejected! 

@mcginga   Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2018 have been permanently closed since October 15, 2019.  Now a 2018 return can only be filed by mail.

You do not AMEND a rejected tax return.  Amending is a special process only used for a tax return that has been fully processed by the IRS --but that was filed with a mistake or missing information.  An amended return is prepared and filed on a special form called a 1040X.  You never amend a return that has not been filed in the first place.

What you want to do is "fix" your rejected return---that is not the same thing as amending.   The email telling you that your return was rejected contained a rejection message or rejection code.  If your return was rejected for some reason other than AGI then you may still need to make some changes to it--which is where the desktop software becomes necessary.

If your return was rejected, it was rejected by the IRS.  The most common reason for rejection is incorrect AGI--if you entered the wrong amount for 2017's AGI then your 2018 return was rejected by the IRS.  But since you can no longer e-file, the AGI does not matter any more.  E-filing for 2018 returns closed permanently on October 15, 2019.  If AGI was the reason your return was rejected, then all you need to do now is print sign and mail the return.

If you already paid your TurboTax fees then you can contact customer support to push a download of the desktop software to you so that you can make additions or corrections to your tax return before you print it, sign it and mail it.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

You didn't pay Turbo Tax to file your return or to guarantee it is accepted.  You paid to prepare your return.  Turbo Tax is a self prepared return.  If your return rejects you can still print and mail it.  Turbo Tax only guarantees the calculations but that is based on your entries so if you entered something wrong or in the wrong place Turbo Tax won't know.