Can I file taxes with little to no earned income and claim my two sons who live with me as dependents?

My soon to be ex husband are seperated since July, I have no earned income for the year 2016, I received $600 cash for child support which is documented and on record but other than that I only receive TANIF grant which I know does not count as earned income. Can I file taxes and claim my two sons who live with me as dependents?

No. need. The child support you received is not taxable or reportable either. So it would appear you have no taxable income to report for 2016.