Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Partain87

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I file taxes on my ssi

I get SSI and I was wondering if I would still be able to control a tax return  I have three kids that I take care off they live with me I was told I can draw a tax return where I care for all of my children but I live on SSI

I got on SSI bbn on june of last year. I have 3 children. Can you file taxes?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

It depends. 

SSI isn't reported on your federal income tax return, and you wouldn't file a federal return based only on this income.

Supplemental Security Income isn't taxable.  You shouldn't include it on your federal return, although a few states use SSI in making certain tax calculations. 

If you've received Social Security retirement, survivor or disability benefits, those will be reported on Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement.  If these benefits are your only income, you don't need to file a tax return.

Please see the TurboTax Help articles Do I need to report my Supplemental Security Income (SSI)? and Do I need to file a federal return this year? for more information.

No matter what happened  ... if you have not received all the advance stimulus payments by January 25, 2021 you will just claim the credit on the 2020 return  by answering the 2 questions about the stimulus payments that will appear at the end of the TurboTax interview. .

The questions are in the section Federal Review.  

Once the information is entered you will see your refund increase or balance due decrease, and TurboTax will enter the amount of the credit on Line 30 of Form 1040 for you.

VBrown350

need the 1040 taxe file online

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If you are filing just to enter a bank information online to receive missed Stimulus checks use this link to file Free.

Use this link: https://freefile.intuit.com/

Click on  the link it will take you  right to the page where you file  your tax return and enter banking information for free 🙂 Hope this helps

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Feledama

I receive Social Security and I do have a dependent I don’t work but I thought my taxes last year and the young lady said that even though I receive Social Security and that’s the only income I have I still can file for income taxes with my 1099 form I think where it said something about Quickstart to file the taxes with turbo but I really need some help and I wish someone would call me to help me file if I can file or give me some information to tell me that I cannot file my phone number is [phone number removed] thank you have a blessed day

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

How old is your dependent?  If you have a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit, then yes you should file a tax return this year.  If your dependent is not a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit and you did not have taxes withheld from your SSI, then you do not need to file a tax return for just SSI.

If your only source of income is a 1099-SSA and you are claiming the child tax credit or a refund of your taxes withheld, then you would file a simple return.  The return you file is a form 1040.  This can be filled out using TurboTax Basic Edition which is free until February 15. 

If you need direct help filing your return, you can click the help button in the upper right hand corner of your screen and it will give you options for someone filing your return for you or speaking to someone on the phone.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What can I done to file my texes for my ssi how can I do it

If your only income is SSI or Social Security then you have nothing to enter on a tax return unless you had tax withheld or have a 1095A for Marketplace insurance  or you did not get the third stimulus payment for yourself or any dependents you can claim. 

My mom gets SSI about 900$ a month. I pay her $300 a month to babysit does she need to file taxes?

@mykeil12 Are you claiming the babysitting money on your own tax return for the childcare credit?   Does Mom babysit so you can work?   Do you claim your mom as a dependent on your tax return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes but only if you are claiming what you paid her on the form 2441 Child Care Credit ... otherwise this is simply a gift in my opinion. 

I did file it on my taxes in total it was $2200 total. Does she HAVE to file? 

I did file it on my taxes in total it was $2200 total. Does she HAVE to file? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies