turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my state taxes online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JuttaS
Employee Writer

If you're just filing your state taxes by themselves (no federal) you won't be able to do this in TurboTax. For security reasons, the state must be e-filed concurrently with the federal, or after the federal has been accepted. You can try visiting your state's Department of Revenue website to see if they offer an online filing option (many states do).

Otherwise, if you are also filing your federal with TurboTax, you ought to be able to e-file your state UNLESS there's some state tax form that can only be paper-filed. We'll let you know.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JuttaS
Employee Writer

If you're just filing your state taxes by themselves (no federal) you won't be able to do this in TurboTax. For security reasons, the state must be e-filed concurrently with the federal, or after the federal has been accepted. You can try visiting your state's Department of Revenue website to see if they offer an online filing option (many states do).

Otherwise, if you are also filing your federal with TurboTax, you ought to be able to e-file your state UNLESS there's some state tax form that can only be paper-filed. We'll let you know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies