turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file injured spouse electronically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SandraM

Yes, the Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation can be filed electronically with your tax return when you are using Turbo Tax to e-file the return.  You must be completing your tax return using the Married Filing Jointly tax status when e-filing.

However, if you have already e-filed your tax return, you'll need to mail the 8379 to the IRS.  

Please review the Turbo Tax FAQ on how to file Form 8379:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3326788

Srxymom39

I need to fill out a form8379

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for step by step instructions to file Form 8379 either with your return or after you have already filed your return.

How do I file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation?

@Srxymom39

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lorett4u

Can I 

i want to file my taxes with injured spouce form 8379 and allocation all refund to my wife can i get help to dothis

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Take a look at the following TurboTax articles and the information below.  Form 8379 Injured Spouse can be filed along with your tax return or on its own after your joint return has been filed and processed.  The first article below will give you general information about the injured spouse allocation and when it should be filed.  The second article will give you more specific steps to take to file Form 8379 using TurboTax, both with your return and after your return has been filed.  The additional information below includes tips to use when filling out the information in TurboTax.

What is IRS Form 8379: Injured Spouse Allocation?

How do I file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation?

Filling out this form can be confusing.  Here are some tips to help you along the way.  If you wish to allocate your refund to your spouse, be sure you are indicating that your spouse is the injured spouse.

There are a couple of things to note when filling out the injured spouse form.  If some of the boxes were not checked, then TurboTax will state you are not eligible to file the form.

Pay close attention to each screen in the process to be sure you are answering questions about Injured Spouse, not Innocent Spouse

On the screen titled “Tell Us More About Your Situation” at least 3 boxes must be checked to qualify to file the Injured Spouse form.

• The box “I filed (or will file) a joint return with my spouse (or former spouse)” must be checked.
  • The box “I am not required to pay the past-due amount” must be checked. 
  • Additionally, at least one more box must be checked to indicate the type of debt that your tax refund will be used to pay. 

Use these steps to get started with the Injured Spouse form in TurboTax:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “injured spouse” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to injured spouse
  • Click on the blue “Jump to injured spouse” link and enter your information

For more information and instructions from the IRS regarding the Injured Spouse Form 8379, click here.

@OurTaxez21

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies