Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married to non resident can I file head of household?

I am married to a non resident who has an ITIN.  I am a US citizen. Can I file head of house hold?  If so, would my spouse file single?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

can I file head of household?

You can claim Head of Household tax rates if your spouse at any time during the year was a non-resident alien. There are some additional provisions:

• You must not choose to have your non-resident alien spouse treated for tax purposes as a resident alien.
  • You need a qualifying dependent living with you such as your child. The qualifying dependent cannot be your spouse.
  • You cannot claim the Earned Income Tax Credit as you are still considered married for EITC purposes and are not filing a joint return.

See https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---H...

If so, would my spouse file single?

If your spouse is a non-resident alien with no US source income, he would not be required to file a US return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Will Turbo Tax help me with not getting the EITC? My Spouse does have US source of income.  If he files a return using his ITIN, would he just be single status? Seems like a lot of work and probably easier to just file married filling joint.

How long has your spouse be in the US? On what visa?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

can I file head of household?

You can claim Head of Household tax rates if your spouse at any time during the year was a non-resident alien. There are some additional provisions:

• You must not choose to have your non-resident alien spouse treated for tax purposes as a resident alien.
  • You need a qualifying dependent living with you such as your child. The qualifying dependent cannot be your spouse.
  • You cannot claim the Earned Income Tax Credit as you are still considered married for EITC purposes and are not filing a joint return.

See https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---H...

If so, would my spouse file single?

If your spouse is a non-resident alien with no US source income, he would not be required to file a US return.

Will Turbo Tax help me with not getting the EITC? My Spouse does have US source of income.  If he files a return using his ITIN, would he just be single status? Seems like a lot of work and probably easier to just file married filling joint.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies