turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

minpin1

Can I file an AMT credit for 2018 since I paid AMT from 2006 through 2017 and I sold ISOs in 2006, 2007 & 2013?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I file an AMT credit for 2018 since I paid AMT from 2006 through 2017 and I sold ISOs in 2006, 2007 & 2013?

Can you claim an AMT credit? 

That's impossible for anyone here to say as the ability to claim an AMT credit is always a "facts and circumstances" situation and nobody here knows your particular facts and circumstances.  If you're not subject to the AMT in 2018 - which might be the case given the tax law changes - then you do have a chance here of getting an AMT credit.

You'll simply have to work through the Form 6251 and Form 8801 interviews to find out, assuming you've been using TurboTax all along since 2016.  If you haven't used TurboTax all along but have those income tax returns available to you then this might be the year to get competent local help in preparing your 2018 income tax return.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Can you claim an AMT credit? 

That's impossible for anyone here to say as the ability to claim an AMT credit is always a "facts and circumstances" situation and nobody here knows your particular facts and circumstances.  If you're not subject to the AMT in 2018 - which might be the case given the tax law changes - then you do have a chance here of getting an AMT credit.

You'll simply have to work through the Form 6251 and Form 8801 interviews to find out, assuming you've been using TurboTax all along since 2016.  If you haven't used TurboTax all along but have those income tax returns available to you then this might be the year to get competent local help in preparing your 2018 income tax return.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies