turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmmallum

Can I enter my 2018 tax information and not file for 2018 but save it for 2019 so I can file for 2019 taxes next year? I have already paid an accountant for 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I enter my 2018 tax information and not file for 2018 but save it for 2019 so I can file for 2019 taxes next year? I have already paid an accountant for 2018.

Yes, you can do that, but why bother? You can start your 2019 tax return next year without transferring information from 2018, and enter information from your 2018 tax return as needed. If TurboTax needs information from your 2019 tax return it will ask for it. It's probably a lot more work to create a complete dummy 2018 tax return than to just enter the necessary information next year.

If you do decide to create a dummy 2018 return, it's your responsibility to make sure that it exactly matches the 2018 tax return that you filed, and to check the information that transfers to your 2019 tax return next year to make sure it's accurate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you can do that, but why bother? You can start your 2019 tax return next year without transferring information from 2018, and enter information from your 2018 tax return as needed. If TurboTax needs information from your 2019 tax return it will ask for it. It's probably a lot more work to create a complete dummy 2018 tax return than to just enter the necessary information next year.

If you do decide to create a dummy 2018 return, it's your responsibility to make sure that it exactly matches the 2018 tax return that you filed, and to check the information that transfers to your 2019 tax return next year to make sure it's accurate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies