I also have other US retirement income. In the past years I have sent in a copy of the Canadian NR4 form, which shows the amount of retirement income and the Canadian tax withheld. If I can e-file what do I do with the NR4 form?
Yes, you can still e-file your Federal return with the Canadian Form NR4 income and taxes paid.
To add a Canadian NR4 add it as if it were Form SSA-1099 (before filing):
1. Sign In or Open TurboTax.
2. Select "Take me to my return" (Online).
3. Select the "Search" or "Help" icon (top right corner).
4. Type "SSA-1099" and select "Jump to SSA-1099"
5. Continue through Form SSA-1099 Interview to add your NR4.
To add the foreign taxes paid to Canada on your NR4:
- Click “Federal Taxes” tab
- Select "Deductions and Credits"
- Go to "I'll choose what I work on"
- Scroll down to "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid"
- Press "Start" or "Update" next to "Foreign Taxes" to enter the foreign taxes paid to Canada on your NR4.
Remember to convert the Canadian funds to US $ before entering into TurboTax.