turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dotf221

Can i deduct the healthcare expenses my school district charges me for health care?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Can i deduct the healthcare expenses my school district charges me for health care?

Most employer-sponsored health insurance plans feature premiums that are paid with pre-tax dollars, as an employment benefit.  This means that the premiums are deducted from your wages before regular income taxes are applied.  If a taxpayer were to deduct those premiums again as a medical expense, that would effectively be "double-dipping," or taking a tax benefit for the same item twice.  You can only deduct medical premiums from employer plans if your employer included them in your Box 1 (Gross Wages) on your W-2.

If instead you are contract employee with the school system, taking advantage of a COBRA option as a former employee, and thus you pay for medical insurance premiums out-of-pocket, or if you are a student in the district "buying into" the district's health plan, then you could include your health care premium expenses as medical expense deductions . . . if they were indeed not an employment benefit, and were not paid with pre-tax dollars.

Thank you for asking this important question, and good luck to you.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Most employer-sponsored health insurance plans feature premiums that are paid with pre-tax dollars, as an employment benefit.  This means that the premiums are deducted from your wages before regular income taxes are applied.  If a taxpayer were to deduct those premiums again as a medical expense, that would effectively be "double-dipping," or taking a tax benefit for the same item twice.  You can only deduct medical premiums from employer plans if your employer included them in your Box 1 (Gross Wages) on your W-2.

If instead you are contract employee with the school system, taking advantage of a COBRA option as a former employee, and thus you pay for medical insurance premiums out-of-pocket, or if you are a student in the district "buying into" the district's health plan, then you could include your health care premium expenses as medical expense deductions . . . if they were indeed not an employment benefit, and were not paid with pre-tax dollars.

Thank you for asking this important question, and good luck to you.

Regards
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies