Franannie

Can I create a PIN before completing my federal return? This is to prevent hackers from submitting a fraudulent tax form using my name and SS #?

Victims of the Equifax breach are at risk of this happening.
Lisa995

No, or any hacker could create a PIN when they file a fraudulent return too.    

IRS does issue Identity Protection PINs to people that have had fraud associated with their tax account.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
AnthonyJ

In order to obtain an IRS issued IP PIN, you must meet certain eligibility requirements.  If you are found to be eligible, the IRS will send you a new IP PIN every December by mail.  Please see the eligibility requirements below.

You must get an IP PIN to file your current or prior year tax returns if:

• You lost the CP01A Notice we sent you with your new IP PIN, or
  • You didn't receive your new IP PIN and you had one before, or
  • We rejected your e-file return because your IP PIN was missing or incorrect.

You may choose to get an IP PIN ONLY if:

To register and use this service, you need:

• Your Social Security number, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from your latest tax return,
  • Access to your email account,
  • Your credit card number or account number from a car loan, mortgage, home equity loan or home equity line of credit, and
  • A mobile phone with your name on the account.

If you are eligible, please click on Get IP PIN.

Note: If you previously registered for an IP PIN,  Get Transcript View Your Tax Account  or an  Online Payment Agreement , you should log in with the same username and password. You may be required to verify your identity again.