Can i claim my son as dependent if he has earn income

yeetun1

I claimed my son as dependent and included his1098  on my tax return.He worked last year and earned $1,203.23. Should I file separate 1040 for him. If we do, only 1040 or what else should we file?

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.