Can I claim my son as a dependent for 2019 if he o...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim my son as a dependent for 2019 if he only depended on me for 5 months.

3 Replies
Level 15

Can I claim my son as a dependent for 2019 if he only depended on me for 5 months.

Please explain that.  Was he born in 2019?  If so, you say he lived with you the whole year.

Or was a he student for part of 2019?  How old was he at the end of 2019?  There is no "part-year" dependent--so you either claim him or you don't.  

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

He's 20 now. But May 5 2019 he left to the Marines. He was 19 from 1/20 till 5/1/2019. I just want to know how to document in my taxes that he was my dependent from 1/2019 until 5/5/2019. I don't want to get audited for claiming him the whole 2019.

Level 15

Sorry--you cannot claim him if he turned 20 in 2019 and joined the military.  He would have had more than $4200 of income for 2019 so you cannot claim him.  As stated earlier--you cannot claim a dependent for only part of the year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings