Can I claim my son as a dependent for 2019 if he o...

Can I claim my son as a dependent for 2019 if he only depended on me for 5 months.

Please explain that.  Was he born in 2019?  If so, you say he lived with you the whole year.

Or was a he student for part of 2019?  How old was he at the end of 2019?  There is no "part-year" dependent--so you either claim him or you don't.  

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

He's 20 now. But May 5 2019 he left to the Marines. He was 19 from 1/20 till 5/1/2019. I just want to know how to document in my taxes that he was my dependent from 1/2019 until 5/5/2019. I don't want to get audited for claiming him the whole 2019.

Sorry--you cannot claim him if he turned 20 in 2019 and joined the military.  He would have had more than $4200 of income for 2019 so you cannot claim him.  As stated earlier--you cannot claim a dependent for only part of the year.