turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my sister and brother if my mother already claim them but i support my mother too

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Can i claim my sister and brother if my mother already claim them but i support my mother too

No, once someone is claimed as a dependent on a tax return (your sister  & brother, on your mother's return), they cannot be claimed on anyone else's return.

to be able to claim your mother, her gross income would have to be $4,300 or less and you would have to provide over 1/2 of her support. if you can claim her, she can't claim any dependents (a dependent can't claim dependents). to be able to claim your brother or sister the same rules would apply to each. gross income under $4,300 and you would have to provide over 1/2 the support for each.   if you can claim any of these people you will need to paper file because your mother already claimed them.  once your mother's return is fully processed, she would have to file an amended return removing the dependent(s) you claim.    if she doesn't this could delay her's and your's refund, if any.    if she fails to amend at some point you and her will get a notice from the IRS asking each taxpayer to amend. if nothing is done the next letter to each from the IRS asks for proof that you are entitled to claim them.  the one providing the stronger prof gets to keep them the other gets a bill usually with penalties and interest.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies