turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drakadj

Can i claim my mom and dad as my dependents

Can I add my mom and dad as dependents they live with me and don't work
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

You can claim your parents as dependents if all of the following requirements to be claimed as qualifying relative dependents is met. Your parents do not need to live with you as they are a qualified relative excluded from that requirement. They can file a joint return if they are only filing to get a refund and (if they filed separate) they would not have taxable income on either married filing separate return:

Qualifying Relative Dependent:

1. They each earned less than 4,050 dollars. Social security income is not counted for this test.
  2. You provided more than half of their support. You may want to us worksheet 2 to determine whether you meet the support test. See Worksheet 2 on page 16 of IRS Publication 501.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

You can claim your parents as dependents if all of the following requirements to be claimed as qualifying relative dependents is met. Your parents do not need to live with you as they are a qualified relative excluded from that requirement. They can file a joint return if they are only filing to get a refund and (if they filed separate) they would not have taxable income on either married filing separate return:

Qualifying Relative Dependent:

1. They each earned less than 4,050 dollars. Social security income is not counted for this test.
  2. You provided more than half of their support. You may want to us worksheet 2 to determine whether you meet the support test. See Worksheet 2 on page 16 of IRS Publication 501.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies