turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my girlfriend? She hasn't worked all year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can claim your girlfriend as a dependent if she passes all the following tests:

1.       The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. 

2.       The person must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law). 

3.       The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050. 

4.       You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5.       The person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national.

6.       The person is not a married person who files a joint return unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid.

Your girlfriend is not a qualifying person to allow you to file as Head of Household and you must file as Single.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can claim your girlfriend as a dependent if she passes all the following tests:

1.       The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. 

2.       The person must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law). 

3.       The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050. 

4.       You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5.       The person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national.

6.       The person is not a married person who files a joint return unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid.

Your girlfriend is not a qualifying person to allow you to file as Head of Household and you must file as Single.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies