rena530

Can I claim my daughter who is 20 years old. She was enrolled fulltime for the spring term of 2016 but began working the end of October. Her wages totaled 6,170

I normally claim her and also her education expenses.

SeanE1

You can claim your daughter on your tax return if the conditions for the IRS test below are met.  Please keep in mind that the $6,170 in wages will not matter.

A parent may claim their child if they meet either the qualifying child or qualifying relative test as outlined below:

Qualifying Child

These 5 tests (all of them), will qualify a child as a dependent:

• Relationship: They must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: They had to live with you in the same residence for more than half the year. Being away at school is considered as living at home. 
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months of the year. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: child did not provide more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

rena530

Will my daughter also be able to fill taxes on her wages of 6170 if I claim her on as my dependent
SeanE1

Your daughter will still be able to file her taxes for the $6,170 in income and get her standard deduction of $6,300 if she files single.  The standard deduction will in effect wipe out her income and she will owe no taxes.
SeanE1

Qualifying Child