turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my daughter even though she lives with her mom and we have court order saying i can if current on child support?

The ex says I can't because she don't live with me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i claim my daughter even though she lives with her mom and we have court order saying i can if current on child support?

No.  The IRS will not honor your court order.  (And, while they will honor some court orders issued before 2009, they never honor a court order that contains a contingency.)

The only parent entitled to claim a child as a dependent is the parent where the child lives more than half the year.  The non-custodial parent can only claim the child if the custodial parent signs a release form.

You may have a case to sue your Ex in the family court to enforce the order, but the IRS will not enforce it for you.

(As a practical matter, you are better off negotiating a $2000 reduction in child support every other year, which is the approximate value of the dependent exemption and child tax credit, rather than having to fight over the exemption every other year.  More attorneys need to know the tax situation better.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No.  The IRS will not honor your court order.  (And, while they will honor some court orders issued before 2009, they never honor a court order that contains a contingency.)

The only parent entitled to claim a child as a dependent is the parent where the child lives more than half the year.  The non-custodial parent can only claim the child if the custodial parent signs a release form.

You may have a case to sue your Ex in the family court to enforce the order, but the IRS will not enforce it for you.

(As a practical matter, you are better off negotiating a $2000 reduction in child support every other year, which is the approximate value of the dependent exemption and child tax credit, rather than having to fight over the exemption every other year.  More attorneys need to know the tax situation better.)

In order to claim the child, your ex needs to give you Form 8332.  As Opus said, if you ex does not willingly give that to you, you must go to Family Court and the Judge will make your ex give you that form.
Manage cookies