turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my daughter as a dependent when shes 43 and jobless and living at my home while going through rehab?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Can I claim my daughter as a dependent when shes 43 and jobless and living at my home while going through rehab?

You may qualify to claim her as a dependent as long as her income was under $4050 in 2017 and you meet the other requirements listed below.

General Rules for claiming a dependent:

• Is she a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, a U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement.
  • Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form.
  • Is she filing a joint return? You cannot claim someone who is married and files a joint tax return. Say you support your married teenaged son: If he files a joint return with his spouse, you can’t claim him as a dependent.

Requirements for claiming a Qualifying Relative:

• Did she they live with you? Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501. About 30 types of relatives are on this list.
  • Did she make less than $4,050 in 2017? Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,050 in 2017 and be claimed by you as a dependent.
  • Did you financially support them? You must provide more than half of your relative’s total support each year.
  • Are you the only person claiming her? This means you can’t claim the same person twice, once as a qualifying relative and again as a qualifying child. It also means you can’t claim a relative—say a cousin—if someone else, such as his parents, also claim him.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies