turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my boyfriends daughter as my dependent. We have her full time. Her mother gets her for less then 48 hours a week. But does pay child support.

He doesn't have income. except the child support
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Can i claim my boyfriends daughter as my dependent. We have her full time. Her mother gets her for less then 48 hours a week. But does pay child support.

Why isn't he claiming  her?

Are your boyfriend and the mother divorced and does the divorce give the mother the right to claim the dependency exemption?

They where never married. And there parenting plan doesn't say anything about it.. plus this is the first full year she has actually paid child support and not even the full amount. The last 4 years boyfriend mother has claim her since she was that was financially responsible for the daughter.

What is your answer to SweetieJean's question? Why isn't he claiming her?

He has no income. How can he file taxes when he has nothing to file.
RichardK

Yes, if the child's parents do not claim the child and you meet the qualifications to claim the child as a dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies