turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JR-Deac

Can i claim my auto and renters insurance if my job requires me to have them?

can i claim my auto and renters insurance if my job requires me to have them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

There is no specific deduction for renter's insurance and auto insurance. They are generally considered personal expenses, and aren't deductible. Expenses must be considered ordinary and necessary for the production of income in order to be deductible. When you say your job requires you to have them, can you elaborate what you mean by that?

You can deduct automobile expenses if you use your vehicle for business. That means you drive your car for your job to different locations, not just back and forth to work, which is considered nondeductible commuting. 

If you can deduct automobile expenses, you can choose to claim your actual expenses, which involves adding up your gas, insurance, repairs, etc, and deducting the percentage of the total that is business related. This involves keeping accurate records to establish the business use of your vehicle.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JR-Deac

I live in the state of NH where auto insurance is not mandatory neither is renters insurance.  I live with and provide care for two males one whom has Autism & the other Asperger's my job requires me to transport them to and from events gatherings and doctors appointments therefore requiring me to have auto insurance and renters insurance.
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

There is no specific deduction for renter's insurance and auto insurance. They are generally considered personal expenses, and aren't deductible. Expenses must be considered ordinary and necessary for the production of income in order to be deductible. When you say your job requires you to have them, can you elaborate what you mean by that?

You can deduct automobile expenses if you use your vehicle for business. That means you drive your car for your job to different locations, not just back and forth to work, which is considered nondeductible commuting. 

If you can deduct automobile expenses, you can choose to claim your actual expenses, which involves adding up your gas, insurance, repairs, etc, and deducting the percentage of the total that is business related. This involves keeping accurate records to establish the business use of your vehicle.

JR-Deac

I live in the state of NH where auto insurance is not mandatory neither is renters insurance.  I live with and provide care for two males one whom has Autism & the other Asperger's my job requires me to transport them to and from events gatherings and doctors appointments therefore requiring me to have auto insurance and renters insurance.
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

You do have an unusual situation. It would seem that you would have auto expenses for the mileage related to transporting the individuals for your job. You wouldn't just write off the auto insurance. You'd write off the business mileage at  54 cents/mile, OR actual auto expenses based on your business use percentage.

For the renter's insurance, it sounds like you may be able to write off a portion of your home under the rules for Home Office deduction. Renter's Insurance would be part of that calculation.

If you deduct only 100% the auto insurance and the renter's insurance, the IRS, if they were to examine your return, would be likely to assume that all or part of these expenses are personal. As I said, your situation is unusual.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies