turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lknl1981

Can I claim my 20yr old FT student but who has a 2 yr child, made 8,100 for the yr?Can she file her own taxes and claim her daughter if I claim her?

My daughter is 20 yrs old, she lives with me. Shes a F/T student and works P/T. She made 8,100 for the year, oh and she has a 2 yr old daughter. My question is because I cover more than 1/2 of her expenses for her and her daughter, can I claim my daughter for the EIC, and she file her own tax return stating someone else can calim her as a dependent. But an she claim her daughter on her taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can I claim my 20yr old FT student but who has a 2 yr child, made 8,100 for the yr?Can she file her own taxes and claim her daughter if I claim her?

Yes, you can claim your daughter as a dependent. You can also claim your grand-daughter. As a dependent, your daughter cannot have a dependent herself. You can also claim your daughter's education credits as she is a full-time student and your dependent.

Your daughter is not required to file a tax return but she can do so to claim a full or partial refund of taxes withheld. She must indicate on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim your daughter as a dependent. You can also claim your grand-daughter. As a dependent, your daughter cannot have a dependent herself. You can also claim your daughter's education credits as she is a full-time student and your dependent.

Your daughter is not required to file a tax return but she can do so to claim a full or partial refund of taxes withheld. She must indicate on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies