• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lknl1981

Can I claim my 20yr old FT student but who has a 2 yr child, made 8,100 for the yr?Can she file her own taxes and claim her daughter if I claim her?

My daughter is 20 yrs old, she lives with me. Shes a F/T student and works P/T. She made 8,100 for the year, oh and she has a 2 yr old daughter. My question is because I cover more than 1/2 of her expenses for her and her daughter, can I claim my daughter for the EIC, and she file her own tax return stating someone else can calim her as a dependent. But an she claim her daughter on her taxes.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can I claim my 20yr old FT student but who has a 2 yr child, made 8,100 for the yr?Can she file her own taxes and claim her daughter if I claim her?

Yes, you can claim your daughter as a dependent. You can also claim your grand-daughter. As a dependent, your daughter cannot have a dependent herself. You can also claim your daughter's education credits as she is a full-time student and your dependent.

Your daughter is not required to file a tax return but she can do so to claim a full or partial refund of taxes withheld. She must indicate on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim your daughter as a dependent. You can also claim your grand-daughter. As a dependent, your daughter cannot have a dependent herself. You can also claim your daughter's education credits as she is a full-time student and your dependent.

Your daughter is not required to file a tax return but she can do so to claim a full or partial refund of taxes withheld. She must indicate on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings