turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

josh209_

Can I claim a relative who is being claimed for Calworks and Calfresh but not taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I claim a relative who is being claimed for Calworks and Calfresh but not taxes?

The fact that you are supporting them could impact those benefits.
Does this relative live with you?
josh209_

Yes

How is he/she related to you?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You may be able to claim a relative as a dependent if they meet the following requirements for "qualifying relative":

1. Not a qualifying child - Since they are some other type of relative, they could not be a qualifying child.
  2. Member of household or relationship test – If your relative lives with you, you're OK here.  Certain relatives don't necessarily have to live with you.  See list on page 19 of IRS Pub. 501.
  3. Gross income test - To meet this test, a person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050.  Gross income is all income in the form of money, property, and services that isn't exempt from tax.
  4. Support test - To meet this test, you generally must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year.  You figure whether you have provided more than half of a person's total support by comparing the amount you contributed to that person's support with the entire amount of support that person received from all sources. This includes support the person provided from his or her own funds.   
  5. Worksheet 2 in IRS Pub. 501 (p. 16) may be helpful in figuring whether you provided more than half of your aunt’s support.

If your relative meets all four tests, you may claim him/her as a dependent on your return.

Even if you can't claim your relative as a dependent because of their income, you could deduct medical expenses you paid for him/her.  IRS Pub. 502 states that "You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that: . . . He or she received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2016."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Calworks and Calfresh must be counted as support that you are NOT providing them when determining the 50%.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies