• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjrochey

Can I claim 19 yr old only in school 5 mos & was online, but received survivors benefits 7 mos?

19 year old daughter received $7560 in survivors benefits. she is not in school and lives with me. Can I claim her as dependent?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Employee Tax Expert

Can I claim 19 yr old only in school 5 mos & was online, but received survivors benefits 7 mos?

Yes, you can claim your daugher as a dependent.

In general if child is 19 but under 24 - the child must be a full time student for 5 different months and you must have provided more than half of her support; If the child is not a full time student, her gross income must be less than $4050 for the year, but social security doesn't count either, so you meet that test as well.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can claim your daugher as a dependent.

In general if child is 19 but under 24 - the child must be a full time student for 5 different months and you must have provided more than half of her support; If the child is not a full time student, her gross income must be less than $4050 for the year, but social security doesn't count either, so you meet that test as well.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v