turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i be exempt if i enrolled for health care from work but it didn't take effect till jan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i be exempt if i enrolled for health care from work but it didn't take effect till jan

There is an exemption called the Short Coverage Gap if you went without health insurance coverage for less than three consecutive months during the tax year.  Otherwise, if your gap in coverage is longer than three consecutive months, the fact that your enrollment wasn't effective immediately does not exempt you from the Shared Responsibility Payment (penalty).

Visit this IRS link Am I Eligible for a Health Insurance Coverage Exemption or Required to Make an Individual Shared Res... to see if you are eligible for an exemption.  Click Begin at the bottom of the page.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There is an exemption called the Short Coverage Gap if you went without health insurance coverage for less than three consecutive months during the tax year.  Otherwise, if your gap in coverage is longer than three consecutive months, the fact that your enrollment wasn't effective immediately does not exempt you from the Shared Responsibility Payment (penalty).

Visit this IRS link Am I Eligible for a Health Insurance Coverage Exemption or Required to Make an Individual Shared Res... to see if you are eligible for an exemption.  Click Begin at the bottom of the page.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies