Jerrikim77

Can department of revenue (child support) take my coronavirius stimulus check

Texas Roger

Persons who owe back child support will not receive a stimulus payment.

Kapone916

That some bull**bleep** what the **bleep** do I live off of that stimulus was all I had plus why don't the mother of the child receive a stimulus but not the father **bleep** this country greedy **bleep**

@Kapone916 

When the first stimulus checks for $1200 were issued last year, the law said they could be seized if you owed back child support.   The second check was for $600, and could not be seized for child support IF they sent it to you in late 2020 or early 2021.

BUT......if you are trying to get the stimulus money by using the recovery rebate credit on your 2020 tax return, it can ALL be seized for child support owed.   That is how Congress wrote the law.   TurboTax never knows if your refund will be offset for child support but you can check online to see if there is an order to offset your 2020 refund:

You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/who-can-garnish-an-income-tax-refund/L7cPPzDyc

And...as for the other parent getting a stimulus check......the custodial parent CAN file a tax return and get a stimulus check.    That does not negate the fact that you owe child support.

KathrynG3

@xmasbaby0 is correct.

These rules have been changed again for the third stimulus payment. The third stimulus payment cannot be sent for back child support. 

For more information, see: Questions and Answers about the Third Economic Impact Payment — Topic G: Receiving My Payment | Inte...

Regarding the first and second stimulus payments, see: