turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone explain why I now am told I need $120 deluxe package because of a 1099R

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can anyone explain why I now am told I need $120 deluxe package because of a 1099R

Free Edition or Live Basic that you appear to be using (which is Free Edition plus Live TurboTax help from a CPA/EA and a review of your return) can handle a 1099-R for some situations but not all.

Did you have an early distribution from a qualified retirement plan?  If so Deluxe or higher is required for that to complete the necessary Form 5329.  Regular Deluxe is $60 for Federal and $50 for state.   Live Deluxe is $120 for Federal and $55 for state.  

See this answer from TurboTax @LinaJ2020  in a similar thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/turbotax-is-trying-to-make-me-upgrade-to-the...

Is that your situation?   If so, regular Deluxe is the minimum paid product that can handle that situation in Online TurboTax.  Whether you would pay $60 or $120 for the Fed return depends on whether you want the Live feature, which can be removed.   We can tell you how to remove TurboTax Live.

Be aware there is a free product that can handle it if you meet one of the qualifications.

The TurboTax IRS Free File Program (not the same as regular Free Edition) is fully-featured and can prepare all the usual forms and schedules.  It is even more powerful than Deluxe, if you qualify.  For example, in addition to Schedules 1-3 it can prepare Schedule C, D, E, F, etc., and enter K-1. But one has to meet one of the qualifications to use.  See below:

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2019 AGI is $36,000 or less (for Married Filing Jointly returns, combined AGI of both spouses cannot be over that limit),  or
      • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
      • In 2019, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $69,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

If you qualify for that program and want to use it, see these 2 FAQs:

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

and

FAQ:  How do I switch to the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Adding to @mesquitebean 's answer:  If you haven't used the "Live" function (speaking or messaging with a tax expert), you should still be able to remove that paid feature.  See the TurboTax FAQ I'm linking below.

How do I remove TurboTax Live? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

visit www.irs.gov to find truly free federal filing, even with a 1099-R tax document.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies