Bug report: TurboTax Deluxe Online Form 1099-R

bluegreen22

Bug report:  TurboTax Deluxe Online does not allow values of less than $1 in Box 1 (Gross distribution) of Form 1099-R.

If a value of less than $1 is entered it behaves as if the field was left blank and continually prompts you to enter a value before you can continue.  The only way to either 'Continue' or 'Back' button from this 1099-R page is to erroneously enter a Box 1 value of at least $1.00

Please fix so that I can continue to accurately file my taxes, as my form 1099-R has a Box 1 value of less than $1.

Thank you.

annajoe803

The IRS isn't going to take that entry without a Box 1 entry. What exactly on the form are you trying to report if you don't have any distribution to report? 

The only way around it if you have other data that must be reported is going to be to put $1 in Box 1.  It will not cause a problem with your tax return as it is an immaterial entry. 

bluegreen22

I am trying to enter a value of $0.82 into Box 1, which is what's on the 1099-R provided by my financial institution.

TurboTax will not let me continue with any value less than $1.  If it's immaterial then that's fine I can put $1, but I found it odd that TurboTax doesn't automatically round up but instead throws an error without explanation.

I'm sure others will face the same issue and find it disconcerting to enter an incorrect value, unaware if it's immaterial, so just wanted to flag it.

annajoe803

That is odd that it doesn't round for you - but if you round it to $1 then that should work just fine.  That's how the IRS will "see" it anyway, as $1.